1. It’s the quickest and easiest way to save someone’s life- Let’s face it, we all want to make a difference, but many of us don’t feel we have the time to. Donating blood is a quick and easy way to impact someone’s life. The whole process only takes up a mere hour of you day, and your donation can save up to three lives.
2. Someone we know will require a blood donation– Blood donations are actually more common than most of us think. One in three Australians will need a blood donation in their lifetime. However at the moment, only one in 30 Australians donate blood.
3. Most blood donations go towards treating people with serious illnesses– It’s safe to argue that many people believe that most blood donations go towards surgical patients. However, more than a third of blood donations go towards treating people with cancer and blood diseases such as leukaemia, aplastic anemia and lymphoma. Other types of people that blood donations help include surgical patients, heart, stomach and kidney disease sufferers, orthopaedic patients, pregnant women, new mothers, young children and trauma patients
4. It’s good for your health- Whilst taking 10% of your blood may sound daunting, donating blood actually has many health benefits. It reduces the risk of heart disease, liver, lung, colon stomach and throat cancers. It also enables your body to replenish blood, which helps the body stay healthy, function better and work productively.
5. It’s a really easy, pain free process– Do you enjoy laying down and doing nothing? Donating blood is basically procrastinating for a cause. All you have to do is turn up to the blood donation centre, get a quick health check and chill out for an hour- the trained nurses do the rest. After all your not- so- hard work, you get a free feed- score!
To find your closest donation centre, call the Australian Red Cross Blood Service on 13 14 95 or visit http://www.donateblood.com.au/ready-to-donate/donor-centre
The Australian Red Cross Blood Service- Blood Donation Fact Sheet- http://www.donateblood.com.au/files/2013BloodServiceStatisics_S.pdf
Lifehack- 8 Benefits of Donating Blood That You May Not Know About- http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/8-benefits-donating-blood-that-you-may-not-know-about.html